What is Ad Hoc Reporting?
Ad hoc reporting is the ability for a user to create a report at any instance on a whim, and present information for analysis and discovery of insights. The essence of ad hoc reporting is the idea that it is a self service method for creating reports anytime, anywhere. Ad hoc reporting is an essential part of most business intelligence software solutions.
What is the goal of ad hoc reporting?
Ad hoc reporting aims at being a self-service tool that allows for report creation at any time. Specifically, ad hoc reporting aims to empower non-technical users with the ability to create, modify and consume reports while reducing workload on your IT department. Ad hoc reporting also provides a user friendly experience to allow business users to interact with report data for powerful information analysis.
Benefits of ad hoc reporting
- Ad hoc reporting provides agility for you. This means that you may answer a business question immediately by creating a report on demand and begin analyzing it for insights.
- They are highly accessible through a variety of means such as the web or mobile devices. You can interact with the tool on these platforms and answer your business questions as you need.
- Ad hoc reporting is flexible in functionality allowing you to interact with reports in various ways. These include navigating through the data on customizable tables, charts and crosstabs via drill down or drill through, as well as rich visualizations such as heat maps and animated motion charts.
- Reports and reporting components are reusable allowing you to distribute them across your team or organization for further creation and interaction of reports. This is beneficial by providing efficiency in distributing interactive reports to your colleagues to improve their decision-making.
- Ad hoc reporting provides the self service ability to create a report at any instance on a whim, and present information for analysis and discovery of insights.
- The goal of ad hoc reporting is to provide an agile reporting solution to answer business questions on demand.
- Ad hoc reporting is flexible in functionality allowing you to interact with the data in many ways.
- Ad hoc reporting is reusable allowing you to distribute reports across your team or organization.